4.15.2009

Down and Out and Fuel Belts

Well, out anyway. And not that kind of out, I mean out of blogland.

I haven't been keeping up with this lately, and I even had a really good post in my head about my run on Friday. A PSA, if you will, and I'll get to that in a bit.
Much has been going in lately, training and otherwise.

Thursday I found out that it wasn't just the bike, I'm actually getting stronger on it. Yay me. The Cannondale does make things a bit easier, though.

Friday see below. I did get rained on a bit, but only for 10-15 minutes. It was a nice overcast run.

Saturday swam. Didn't get as good of times as I think I should have and my left shoulder is starting to hurt. I'm not sure if that's the same shoulder that hurt last year or not, I'll have to post chase myself to find out.

Sunday I went on a hike/walk at Crystal Cove. I didn't realize I had basically done the whole thing before during the Pac Coast Tri, but I didn't have time to enjoy it like I did on Sunday. It was a beautiful day. I went with my friend Anissa and we saw tons of birds and a bunny!

PSA:
If the longest run you did the week before was 5 miles, and it was your only run that week, don't try to pull out a 10 mile (or really a 9.5 mile) hilly run as your first (and only) run of this week.

It isn't pretty and your thighs (both hamstrings and quads) will scream at you later.

Also, I'm looking for suggestions on fuel belts. I have an Amphipod runlite 4 (meaning it comes with 4 bottles) but one of my holders, maybe more, doesn't keep the bottles well. They pop/slip out.

I finally broke one of the bottles when it fell out 4 weeks ago and on Friday's run I lost a bottle that didn't snap in completely. I can pay 10 bucks for 2 new bottles or buy a new belt. I've looked at more of Amphipod's belts and found a full tilt that carries 40 oz in 2 bottles plus more storage than my current belt has.
The other one I found was their profile lite 32. Carries 32 oz water, storage much like what I already have.



These pictures were taken from Amphipod's website, in case anyone wants to know.

Suggestions? Keep in mind that I push all of the bottles on my current belt to the back. I hate hitting them with my arms when I run. Anybody?
If I decide to get a new belt, I'll have an old one for sale/trade/free...

3 comments:

Delane said...

I'm changing this year the one in the middle. Rumor has it that the fluids (if you freeze them) stay cooler longer. 1 side for water, the other side for coconut water (or what ever beverage supplement you use)

Tammy said...

I'm no help. I can't run with anything strapped to me. It annoys me.

Glad to see you back, Yas.

Glenn Jones said...

Isn't Crystal Cove wonderful? I run over there a few times a month when I need a mental break from the drudgery of putting miles in.

I personally like the Nathan Fuel belts. I have a Nathan 4 - much like your Amphipod except the bottles don't just clip in, so losing them doesn't happen.

Oh -and 8 minute miles - it's taken me 2 years of 30 mile weeks to get there. Patience grasshopper.