12.11.2008

Intervals and the Dread

I know I'm lucky to live where I live and be a runner. I realize that in some places in the country, not to mention the world, there is snow and rain, even hail. People have to wear all the nifty running apparel that I want to buy, until I realize after running in it for 20 minutes in 45-50 degree weather I will be A) hot and B) the temperature will be closer to 65 without the added layers.

I try not to complain too much about my lack of running outside, but it really does irk me. I like it tons better than the dreadmill. Today I blame my lack of communing with the outdoors on having to take the cat to the vet, but really, who am I kidding. I wouldn't be able to get in 7 miles before it got dark when I was starting at 4 pm anyway. I'm still blaming it on the cat. She just looks shifty.

I thought about putting it off until tomorrow, but tomorrow night is Jeremy's Holiday Party which is very fun and starts at 6pm. Once again there is no way I'd get in 7 miles if I started at 4 and had to be all prettied up and at the party by 6, well 6:30, when do I get to a company function on time?

Plan B was made. (Please don't comment on the lack of Plan A. Plan A is always run outside, preferably before it gets dark or as it's getting light.) Plan B was to do my speed intervals on the treadmill, at the gym, after a light dinner. I left my house at 7:15 to get started.

First of all, I don't like running this late. I'll be up until midnight and I need to get into work early tomorrow. Boo early. Yay Peet's, which is the only thing that will help me through those first few hours.

Secondly, I really dislike the temperature at gyms. Do they have to make it that hot? I realize if I'm coming in off the street I don't want it to be freezing inside, but really, it gets oppressively hot a few minutes into my run, no wonder I sweat so much.

Thirdly, at this time of night there aren't too many people to watch. It's basically us hardcore peeps that need to get a workout in before we hit the sack. There aren't any gym bunnies, walking around the weight machines trying to get hit on. There aren't too many guys lifting way to much and having you wonder if they're going to throw out their back on this set or the next one. It's pretty much you, your iPod, and a tv that you hope is close captioned so it will keep you busy, but is usually on something that you don't want to watch. Fun times.

Anyway, I ran my mile warm up, started my first of 3-1600 meter intervals at 9:35 (ha! I didn't quite keep that pace) with a 800 rest interval in between. This one went well, I had to lie to myself each lap, pretending I would stop each 400 meters, but I completed it. I jogged at a 12 min/mile pace for the 800, I started my second interval, but here's where it was too hard, mentally I'm sure, I ended up throttling down to a 9:50 pace to finish the last half of the mile and I walked the recovery. The last one I all but gave up on. I ran at the 9:50 pace for 1/2 a mile, walked for 1/4 of a mile then ran the last interval 1/2 mile and started in on my cool down.

The moral of the story is such, find a lit track to run on, but if that's not an option, the treadmill isn't so bad.

3 comments:

Aka Alice said...

I promise to never complain about my treadmill at home again...treadmill at the gym is worse (I actually don't mind my treadmill at home...it is convenient).

I don't like running in the dark either.

Unknown said...

Two of the most popular exercise machines out today are elliptical machines and Treadmills. The reasons why they are so popular are they are easy to use, they burn more calories per hour used as compared with other equipment, they create less impact on your body compared with walking or running on hard surfaces and their convenient location inside your home.


http://www.yorkfitness.com/Treadmills-cat-501/Index.html

Tammy said...

Wow, that last comment was random!

I HATE running on my treadmill with a passion. I can't remember the last time I ran on it, and it's in my own home.

Great job getting the run in, Yas!